One of my friends recently returned home after living in Germany for 7 months, this event called for special cake! This cake was inspired by photos doing the rounds on the Internet of a rainbow cake that is made with all the colours of the rainbow layered in one batch. The idea is to make the outside of the cake very plain, then when you cut into the cake you are surprised with an explosion of colour!
The very vivid colours are achieved by using gel food colouring that can be found at speciality baking stores. I used a recipe for sponge cake that I found here.
Rainbow Sponge Cake
Recipe for one large square layer or two smaller round layers
- 3 eggs, separated
- 15ml Lemon juice
- 140g White sugar
- 25ml Warm water
- 140g Cake flour
- 5ml Baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Beat in the lemon juice and half of the sugar.
- Beat the egg yolks and water together. Slowly add the rest of the sugar while beating.
- Fold the egg yolks into the egg whites.
- Sift together dry ingredients and fold into the egg mixture.
- Pour into two greased 23cm diameter cake tins or one 30cm x 30cm square pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
To make the rainbow layers, divide the egg yolk, egg white and flour mixtures. Colour the two separate egg yolk mixes and then proceeded with the rest of the instructions for each colour. When the batters are finished, spread the one colour in the pan first then carefully spread the second colour on top.