Sunday 27 March 2011

Smoked Snoek Pate


I've had a craving for smoked snoek for quite a while now, smoked snoek pate specifically. It took one lazy Saturday afternoon and 15 minutes to make a fresh, creamy, smokey, lemony pate that is great immediately, and even better once it has had time for the flavours to develop.

I bought myself a new camera a few days ago. I've been having so much fun playing with it, and I really enjoyed taking these photos! <3 dSLR :)


Smoked Snoek Pate
Makes about 1 cup


  • 200g Packet of Smoked Snoek
  • 2 Heaped tablespoons Creamed Cottage Cheese
  • 2 Heaped teaspoons Mayonaise
  • 1 Clove of garlic, cut finely
  • 0.25 Onion, grated or cut finely
  • 0.5 Pickle, grated or cut finely
  • Zest of 1 Lemon
  • Juice of 0.5 Lemon
  • 0.25 Cup of Dill (cut into small pieces)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste



  1. Flake the fish and carefully remove all the bones.
  2. Mix all the ingredients together. That is all!


Note: These quantities are only a guideline. I devised the recipe by adding ingredients and tasting until I was happy, I highly recommend you do the same!

8 comments :

  1. Wow! Amazing photos! :) You must be so amped about your camera. Love snoek pate, hmmm... want some now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super, super amped! Going from 4 year old "mik en druk" to a great dSLR is like having all your birthdays and Christmases at once :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm Jessica, this looks soooo yummy! And awesome news about your camera, I am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Linda, the pate was so tasty (and almost no effort), don't know why I didn't try it much sooner. New picnic food found!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome pics - yay for new cameras! Never knew it took this little time to make a snoek pate - no excuses now, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No excuses indeed! The lemon zesting and fish deboning require the most time(relatively), the rest is just grating and mixing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessica, I recently got a huge packet of smoked snoek from my brother in law - he caught the snoek himself! I've been wanting to make some paté for quite some time, so I'll surely be trying your recipe out ASAP!
    I've also seen a recipe for smoked snoek chowder in "The A-Z of Food & Cookery in SA", and I think that should be an interesting one to check out. Will let you know if it's worth while!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smoked snoek chowder sounds good, I'd love to know if it's worth making! Hope the pate is to your liking!

    ReplyDelete